Benefits of Artificial Disc Surgery
There are many benefits of artificial disc replacement surgery. They include:
- Patients can usually return to normal activities in a few weeks
- Artificial disc replacement can be less invasive and less painful than other surgical alternatives
- Patients do not need a brace
- Disc replacement surgery prevents degeneration of adjacent discs
- Artificial disc surgery often enables patients who have degenerative disc disease to recover and get back on their feet faster than with spinal fusion surgery
Risks of Artificial Disc Surgery
As with any surgery, there are risks. Risks include blood clots, breathing problems, infection, and/or damage to spinal nerves. Smoking can increase the risks involved with any surgery. The risks associated with artificial disc surgery are no higher than the risks involved with spinal fusion.
Artificial disc surgery is approved by the FDA and deemed to be safe and effective. The long-term results are not yet known. However, for patients suffering from spinal disease, the benefits commonly outweigh the risks.
Contact Our Spinal Experts
If you have questions about artificial disc surgery or other acute or chronic back pain, please contact us here or call 253-841-8939 to speak with one of our dedicated Medical Concierges to ask questions, learn the cost of artificial disc surgery, or schedule an appointment.